The Crux Australis is head of the Lochac College of Heralds, which is responsible for acting as the voice of the Crown and landed nobility, registering names and devices with the College of Arms, devising ceremonies and consulting on awards and other heraldic matters for the Crown of Lochac.
The current Crux Australis Principal Herald is Lady Amanda Martel.
The Crux Australis is assisted by several deputies:
- Coffyn Herald: 2IC (emergency deputy) and special projects.
- Astrolabe Herald: Eastern ‘eyes and ears’ deputy
- Baryl Herald: Western ‘eyes and ears’ deputy
- Bombarde Herald: responsible for ceremony and protocol.
- Canon Herald: responsible for updating Lochac’s Order of Precedence (Canon Lore).
- Chaineshot Herald: responsible for education and training.
- Mortar Herald: responsible for websites and software.
- Powder Horn Herald: responsible for records management.
- Quarrel Herald: responsible for maintaining the Lochac Roll of Arms.
- Rocket Herald: responsible for managing name and device submissions.
- Silent Herald (name pending): responsible for introducing sign language to Court in Lochac.
- And, any other herald positions as appointed by the Crux.
The college also manages the name, device and badge submissions for the Kingdom, and Canon Lore (order of precedence – awards database). Linked to the heraldic submissions process, the Lochac Roll of Arms is a database of passed blazons and emblazons of individuals and groups in the Kingdom – a person project by Master William Castille.
The list of those individuals who have served as Crux Australis are presented in the table below.